Eyelid surgery – or blepharoplasty as it is also known is the minor cosmetic surgery which combats signs of aging through the removal of extra skin around the eye. The procedure is ideal for those who have sagging eyelids or crow’s feet, and want to give their face in general a younger look. Often an upper eyelid lift is carried out at the same time as a lower eyelid lift and a brow lift – which is used to combat drooping eyebrows and a complete makeover of the eye area.
For some people, sagging eyelids can be so severe that it obstructs their field of vision
The procedure of an upper eyelid lift involves the removal of excess skin and in the area above the eye. These usually occur as a result of aging and the effect is astonishing as a method of achieving a younger looking face. It gives a more ‘wide awake’ look, but in a very natural way.
Having had an initial consultation, Dr Kaplan will then book a date with you for the actual procedure itself.
In the procedure, Dr Kaplan will give you a local anaesthetic and protect your eye, and use a laser to remove any extra or saggy skin and fatty pockets above the eye – which make you look older than you want. Dr Kaplan will then repair your eyelid with a special glue so you don’t need to remove sutures afterwards.
Once you have recovered from the surgery you will have a younger looking face, more vibrant eyes and a feeling of looking years younger.
Like any surgical procedure, there is some preparation required in order to have the best effect, outcome and not to put yourself at risk.
- Try to eliminate or at least cut down on smoking and drinking
- Stop taking Vitamin E supplements
- Avoid Ginko Biloba, Ginseng, Aspirin or Ibuprofen – these can all have blood thinning effects
- Make sure that you are prepared at home – it might not seem like major surgery, but the likelihood is that you won’t feel like going and doing the grocery shopping. So get stocked up on food, ice cubes, clean wash cloths, sterile gauze pads, bottle of acetaminophen, and bottle of artificial tears.
If you decide to go ahead with the procedure, the best cosmetic surgeons like Dr Kapan will give you comprehensive instructions on how to prepare on the day of the procedure. This usually includes:
- Shower and wash your hair on the day of the surgery
- Don’t wear makeup or other cosmetics, and leave items such as false eyelashes at home
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes
- Make sure that you discuss with your surgeon whether you should take medications on the day of the procedure, as well as whether you should be eating beforehand.
For those who are uncomfortable with their eyelids, or want to give their eye area a new lease of life, an upper eyelid lift can be the ideal solution – especially if combined with a lower eyelid lift or eyebrow lift.
If you want more information about how Dr Kaplan can help you lose some of the years from your face, get in touch with us today!