How to Deal with Scars after a Facelift
A facelift or mini facelift can change people´s lives. They can be a great way to give people confidence and help them to feel like they are beating time, making themselves look and feel younger and more youthful. But while a facelift can have fantastic results in making your look younger, like all surgery, a certain degree of scarring will inevitably occur.
What does a Facelift entail?
When your cosmetic surgeon performs your facelift, they make incisions around the face, including along the hairlines, to reduce the appearance of scars. The position of the incisions is especially important when facelifts are being performed on men as usually the skin around the face is a lot more exposed than in women.
With all the best will in the world, there will always be scarring with any surgery. The key is to make it as minimal as possible and what little scarring there might be, make as undetectable as possible.
There are a number of techniques which can be used to try make scarring less obvious. These measures should be taken – or at least considered from right after the facelift has been performed. Here are a few techniques to reduce the appearance of scars:
- As soon as the dressings have come off and the incisions are fully healed, you should try scar massage. A massage will help to simulate lymphatic circulation and drainage from around the scar area, as well as loosen any tightness.
- Silicone sheets or scar gels are made to reduce scar elasticity and redness, itching and discomfort, and reduce the appearance of scars by also flattening and smoothing.
- Protect from temperature extremes and direct sunlight. Firstly temperature extremes can affect your skin, making it more sensitive and less able to repair itself. Sunlight also makes the pigmentation in the skin come out, and this can make scars color at a different speed to the rest of the skin – making it appear darker. So avoid temperature extremes and use a sunblock, especially on new scars.
- Laser re-surfacing is a great solution for those who still can´t get rid of scars, even after a substantial amount of time. The heat from the laser reacts with water in the skin cells, which effectively kills the scar cells in a gentle way. The new cells will then grow over the top and the scar traces will disappear over a number of treatments.
- Keeping the skin healthy – by drinking a lot of water, regular cleansing and moisturising and generally living a healthy life with good diet and exercise, you will keep you skin healthy and all the tools that it needs to repair and keep scarring as undetectable as possible.
For many people who are enjoying the results of a facelift, scarring can be a worrying issue. We don’t, after all want to get rid of our wrinkles only to get a load of new lines on our faces. By having a good cosmetic surgeon like Dr Kaplan and Dr Yee, you can keep the incisions down to a bare minimum, and by adopting the scar prevention and treatment options above, you can help to ensure that your facelift scars are undetectable.
For more information about facelifts, mini facelifts and skin re-surfacing, get in touch with us today.