So you have been working for maybe months or years on losing weight from those annoyingly troublesome areas. So it can be disappointing for people when they get left with unsightly and saggy skin. For some people, those areas that you were looking forward to showing off, are still having to be hidden under clothes, and you still can´t even wear that strappy top.
This is very common in the upper arms, and this is why those clever cosmetic surgeons like Dr Kaplan have developed the arm lift. If you have suffered from chunky upper arms and the skin has been stretched, especially if weight loss was relatively quick, the skin often doesn’t gain its elasticity back, and doesn’t shrink back where it once was. An arm lift (or brachioplasty) will take out this excess skin, leaving the area tight and smooth, and finally you will be able to show off your new, slimmer figure.
Benefits of an Arm Lift
There are a number of benefits for people who have arm lift surgery:
- To improve the general body shape, allowing people to use sleeveless or tighter fitting clothes
- To increase self-confidence and allow people more flexibility in their choice of clothes
- To create a more proportionate figure and make the buying and fitting of clothes easier and more enjoyable.
- To look and feel more youthful and confident
Good cosmetic surgeons like Dr Kaplan and Dr Yee can perform arm lifts on their own or as part of a more general body lift. The arm lift itself is actually a relatively simple procedure.
Dr Kaplan and Dr Yee can also perform arm lift as part of a body sculpting procedure – firstly removing the excess fat through liposuction and then taking away the left over skin in the (usually) upper arm. Depending on your individual needs and specifications, the arm lift can be carried out in a number of different ways. For example, some may have excess skin on the top of the arm and others sagging below.
Any good cosmetic surgeon will first assess your suitability for an arm lift or any cosmetic surgery, before going ahead and booking you in. This is to make sure that you are going to be safe during the procedure, as well as maximising the effect and ensuring that the results are long lasting. Suitable candidates should:
- Have excess skin around the arm area
- Generally be healthy
- Be maintaining a steady and suitable weight (e.g. wait until you have finished losing weight or after a liposuction procedure)
- Not smoke or drink heavily – as these can delay or halt the healing process
- Be psychologically prepared
- Have realistic expectations about the procedure
To ensure the best results and that you are definitely suitable for the procedure, it is important that you are 100% honest with your doctor in the initial consultation.
For those who want to lose weight from their arms, or indeed have lost weight and have excess skin here, an arm lift can be the perfect option. It is important to remember that this is a surgical procedure and therefore is not a decision to be taken lightly. However, an arm lift can transform your life in terms of building self-confidence and getting the ´look´ that you´ve always wanted.
For more information about arm lifts and other cosmetic surgery procedures offered by Dr Kaplan and Dr Yee, get in touch with us today.